Trait System

rank 38 posts

Post by Admin on Sept 9, 2017 16:20:07 GMT -5

Overview

The Trait System allows for deeper personalization and customization of characters. As well as adding a hint of uniqueness with the ability to choose from multiple traits provided below, DS members have the opportunity to create their own traits that both they, and the site as a whole may use*.

Born with certain traits, characters can or have gained abilities or skills over their career as shinobi, however, there is always room for expansion and growth. In nearly every trait there are three tiers, save the occasionally the rarity, and the current tier your character has achieved indicates their ability level within that specific trait. With every move to the next tier, not only is your previous tier replaced by the new, but your character gains access to an even more expanded version of their ability or skill. Aside from replacement by the next tier, once you've chosen or gained a trait you are not able to remove or exchange it for a separate one, and with a limited number of traits slots, it's important to be conscious of whichever traits you choose for your character. Accessing new tiers of current traits is achieved through Experience Points, and the cost of each individual tier of a trait varies greatly. Awarded thru a variety of methods, these experience points, or EXP, are also the pathway to unlocking new traits altogether and, with the trait slots avaliable, unlocking new skills and abilities for your character is straightforward and extensive.

While every character begins at the same starting point, a certain amount of EXP and Character Trait slots are given with your character's rank boost in order to reflect the experiences and abilities they've gathered since the beginning. Though this means a Jounin may be a more fleshed out as a character, they are rather set in their ways to a degree, and somewhat more stunted in their growing ability compared to a Genin, who is free to explore nearly any branch of the shinobi tree, so its important to put a lot of thought into which path to take. The effects of this are a bit more amplified by the limitations set on available trait slots. The higher in rank that your initial rank boost is, the lower your overall cap is on available slots, so while you do in fact gain more traits upfront, as well as the ability to begin leveling them up right off the bat, the amount of traits you're character will have access to in the end is lower. The chart below breaks this down in a bit further detail.

The majority of abilities not related to a specialization are relegated to traits. Anything that your shinobi can do outside of performing jutsu is considered a trait, something they were born with or learned or a habit they've picked up. over their life. Whether its a physical advantage like being notable faster or stronger than others or something more unique like possessing a bloodline or a legendary weapon, traits couple with specializations in providing an index of what your character is capable of. For example, if your character gains a kkg, whether through a rank boost or as a result of in rp actions, they also need the kkg trait added to their list. This is done not only so that there is a written record of what your character can do, but also so that no one character can possess every power under the sun. The limitations this sets in place also encourage a more thought out plan for characters, as there are only so many trait slots one can use before there simply are no more for them.

Traits are also the manner in which clashes with other shinobi are solved. For the most part, the difference in physical abilities of shinobi all fall within a comparable range, meaning that though some are naturally stronger or faster, the difference isn't so large that it warrants a change in play style. This is changed, however, with the addition of traits. If two shinobi are going head to head, though with one side possessing a speed trait, the contender with the trait is significantly faster than their opponent, and it will show in rp. Taking this to the next level, if both contenders possess a speed trait, the tier that they have each achieved in that trait becomes the tie breaker. If, by chance, both characters happen to have the same tier of the same trait, the effects of this trait are merely cancelled out when used against each other, much the same as jutsu clashes work.

Custom Character Traits

A major aspect of DS' trait system is the custom character trait feature, and this section delves into it. As well as the ones provided, DS members are able to devise their own unique character traits, including everything from its effects on the user to the way it operates in each new tier. Members can also submit their trait to be added to the list of traits on this page available to everyone else or if they'd like, or keep them all to themselves. Similar to how jutsu and weapons are written up, the custom trait should include things like its name, amount of tiers, individual in-character effects that come with each tier, the EXP it costs to obtain, and whether or not you'd like it to be for forum wide use. When placed in your Inventory Thread for approval, a member of staff will review the trait and either approve it, deny it, or inform you of where and what sort of changes need to be made. Once this process is through with, your trait can be added your character's template, and even this thread, if you so choose.

Name: Name of your Character Trait.

Amount of Tiers: How many tiers does the trait contain?

Effects: What are, in detail, the effects on people that possess this character trait? Please make an explanation for each separate tier if they do something different enough from each other.

EXP Cost: How much EXP does someone need to put in to unlock this trait? Again, please be specific for each tier, if applicable.

Use:
Is it for everyone, or just for yourself? Please put Restricted or Open.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Name:[/b] [i]Name of your Character Trait.[/i]
[b]Amount of Tiers:[/b] [i]How many tiers does the trait contain?[/i]
[b]Effects:[/b] [i]What are, in detail, the effects on people that possess this character trait? Please make an explanation for each separate tier if they do something different enough from each other.[/i]
[b]EXP Cost:[/b][i]How much EXP does someone need to put in to unlock this trait? Again, please be specific for each tier, if applicable.[/i]
[b]Use:[/b][i]Is it for everyone, or just for yourself? Please put Restricted or Open.[/i]

Last Edit: Oct 1, 2017 8:23:22 GMT -5 by Duquin